Pin It

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Seriously Awesome Homemade Shower Cleaner

This isn't an exciting Disney or Christmas post.  I promise more of those very soon, but I had to share this awesome find. 

I really don't mind cleaning the bathrooms.  In fact, I would rather do that than fold endless piles of laundry or hand wash the mountain of dirty dishes that I've had to wash since the first of September when my dishwasher first broke.  Since that time the extended warranty company and I have been playing tug of war with the repair man having made 8, yes EIGHT!!!!, trips to my house to repair my  still unfixed dishwasher, but I digress.  Back to the shower. 

The girls and I have asthma and the smell of Tilex is extremely hard on my lungs.  My process of cleaning the bathrooms for as long as I can remember has been to cover my mouth and nose with a cloth, spray the cleaner, leave the rooms to vacuum for at least an hour and then return to hurriedly clean the bathrooms while I again cover my mouth and nose.  I knew that the fumes couldn't be good for me and tried some of the 'green' brand and generic cleaners. While the fumes weren't as bad, the cleaners didn't clean the showers and tubs as well and pretty much doubled my cleaning time.  No good.  Time is a precious commodity at my house and I'm sure it's the same way at your house.  I don't have time for a cleaner that doubles my cleaning time.  

After sweet sister shared her homemade laundry detergent recipe with me (more on that soon.  Needless to say, I am IN LOVE with the homemade laundry detergent), I thought that a homemade version of shower cleaner might be the answer to my bathroom cleaning problems.  After trying a few different versions that are out there, I found a very easy formula that works WONDERS with no fumes.  I really don't think my showers and tubs have looked this clean or beautiful since before the precious children arrived. 

Seriously AWESOME Shower & Tub cleaner - 1 cup White Vinegar, 1 cup dish soap & 1/3 cup water

Here is what you need - 

1 cup of dish soap (Dawn or generic dish soap)
1 cup of white vinegar
1/3 - 1/2 cup of water

Pour soap, vinegar and water into a spray bottle, give the spray bottle a good shake to mix the 3 ingredients, and spray on your shower and tub.  Some other versions I have seen don't have water added.  I tried the Dawn/vinegar mix without the water and found it was too thick for my spray bottle.  Adding just a bit of water helped thin my mixture so it would spray much easier. 

This cleaner solved my breathing while cleaning problem and cleaned much better than the brand name cleaner I had been using before.  Even if you don't have asthma, it's worth a try.  The fumes probably aren't good for anyone. 

Hope y'all are having a great week.  Stay warm!

Hope

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Post a Comment