Pin It

Saturday, November 9, 2013

Thanksgiving Corn Casserole

**If you are going me from Pinterest, Thanks so much for stopping by!  I have lots of great recipes & family ideas and would love for you to join me in this crazy journey called Motherhood.  Clink on the right to add your email to subscribe for a free newsletter with the latest.*

I plan on sharing all of my family's favorite Thanksgiving dishes this week.  Honey came home to corn casserole and pumpkin gooey cake that I had made for picture taking purposes and was thrilled.  His response was, "I think I'm going to like this blog thing!"



Thanksgiving is my favorite family holiday.  I grew up with a big family and even bigger family gatherings for Thanksgiving.  We reserved Christmas for immediate family gatherings so Thanksgiving has always been a fun-filled, big family gathering.
Honey grew up a little differently and, bless him, my family was probably a little much to take in that first Thanksgiving.  I knew it would be an adjustment for him so I promised to make his favorite Thanksgiving dish for the massive spread of food.  I was hoping his response would be something that I already knew how to make because I was in my 2nd year of law school and extra time was not a luxury I possessed.

Honey proudly announced that his favorite was corn casserole.  I had never eaten corn casserole but we were in that blissful newlywed state and I wanted to show I was up to the task of making the perfect corn casserole.  I scoured recipes, reviews and made a few versions before I settled on a combination of recipes I had found.  It has now become a favorite for both sides of the family.

What you will need

I hardly ever make corn casserole throughout the year because, to be honest, I just don't normally cook with much butter.  *GASP!* Terrible for a Southern girl I know.  Honey teasingly claims that I am depriving the children of a Southern staple.  That's ok though.  This mama tries her best to provide a healthy version of things the children love but I'm not one to deprive them of the occasional chocolate chip cookie.

This recipe is very easy and always comes out perfectly.  Be careful to not overcook the casserole.  It can be easy to do with so many dishes in the oven at once.

Thanksgiving Corn Casserole
1 (15 oz) can of cream style corn
1 (11 oz) can of whole kernel corn, drained
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream (I always use 'light')
1 (8.5 oz package dry corn bread mix  (I use Jiffy)
1/4 - 1/2 cup butter, melted
This what your mixture will look like in the dish

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray 8x12 inch casserole dish with non-stick spray.  In a mixing bowl, combine cream corn, whole kernel corn, eggs, sour cream, muffin mix, and butter.  Pour mixture into prepared casserole dish.   Bake in preheated oven for 35-45 minutes or until mixture becomes slightly firm in the middle of the dish.  The cooking time really depends on your oven and if you are cooking other dishes in the same oven so you sadly have to 'babysit' this one if you are cooking multiple dishes.


I hope y'all enjoy this as much as my family does.

Hope






Will Cook For Smiles
1

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

6 comments:

  1. Hi Hope,
    I found your post on the link party. I love corn so I was drawn to the picture. It looks yummy! I've pinned it so I'll have it handy.
    Blessings, Daine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really can't go wrong with this recipe. It's super easy and tastes amazing. Hope you enjoy it as much as my family does. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. Love this variation of corn for Thanksgiving! I am going to add this to my menu! Thanks for sharing at Share Your Stuff Tuesdays!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily - I can't wait to hear how this version turns out for your family! Hope y'all enjoy it as much as we do! Have a wonderful thanksgiving!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this recipe! My family and friends love it and request it now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is delicious and super simple. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete