Pin It

Monday, November 11, 2013

Yummy Pumpkin Gooey Cake



This is terrible I know, but I am just not a fan of traditional pumpkin pie.  I like the idea of pumpkin desserts and the taste of pumpkin, but traditional pumpkin pie itself is just not my favorite.  This Pumpkin Gooey Cake recipe is an amazing, delicious twist on a Thanksgiving staple.

Because I just love to bake, I am usually responsible for a few desserts for the family Thanksgiving gathering.  A few years ago, I felt bad for never including pumpkin pie in the dessert line-up because it's tradition to have a pumpkin dessert on the table.  And so my search began for the 'perfect' alternative to pumpkin pie to serve at Thanksgiving.  I found this Paula Deen recipe HERE and with a couple of alterations, had what I think is one of the very best pumpkin desserts.  I make this every year around to first of October to give as teacher and neighbor gifts and almost always get asked for the recipe.  I promise, you will not be disappointed.

What you need to make Pumpkin Gooey Cake

Pumpkin Gooey Cake

One 18 1/4 oz package of yellow cake mix
1 egg
6 tablespoons of butter, melted (Paula calls for 8 tablespoons but I have found it to be a little too buttery with 8)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Combine ingredients and mix well.  I always use my hand mixer because it works better than hand mixing for this recipe.  Pat your 'crust' mixture into a lightly greased 13 x 9 inch baking pan.  I have found that glass dishes work best for this recipe.


Press your crust into the pan as shown above

Topping -

One 8 oz package of cream cheese, softened (I always use Neufchatel Cheese and I promise you can't tell the difference.  You MUST wait for the cream cheese to soften or your filling will be clumpy.  Yes, I know from experience.)
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
5-6 tablespoons of butter, melted (again, Paula calls for 8 tablespoons but the mine works better with less because of the pumpkin puree)
One 16 oz box of powdered sugar
15 oz. can of pumpkin puree
1 tsp. cinnamon

Beat cream cheese until smooth.  Add eggs and vanilla.  Add butter, pumpkin and cinnamon and mix until smooth.  Slowly add powdered sugar and mix well.  Spread topping mixture over 'crust' mixture in pan. Bake for 50 minutes.  You want the center to be a little gooey so don't over bake.  Not over baking can be a little tricky with this dessert.  Some tricks I have learned are to make sure you preheat the oven first - no skipping this part.  Also, do not put your pan on the bottom rack because you don't want the crust to harden too much.  I usually move my center rack to the second rung so it's closer to the top but not too close.

What your pre-baked cake will look like with the topping added

I really hope y'all enjoy this dessert.  Please let me know how it works for you and if you family like it as much as mine!

Hope
Pumpkin Gooey Cake - YUMMY!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Post a Comment